Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Brian Hales' attack on CES author..

I found that Brian Hales attacked Jeremy Runnells, author of the CES letter.  He suggested that Jeremy read up on the polyandrous relationships of Joseph and his wives.  This is one tactic that I can't stand about apologists.  Brian attacked Jeremy.  Even in the title of his post,  he held back no punches with his sarcastic line.  Granted Jeremy's CES letter wasn't flawless, he has admitted as such and made the appropriate changes. Another point;  Jeremy isn't an academic scholar.  He isn't a historian, he never claimed to be one. He simply penned his questions during a crisis of faith. He was voicing his concerns to find answers. He, like myself, couldn't do the mental gymnastics it takes to be a believing member. One recommendation for Brian Hales, QUIT BLAMING THE VICTIM.  Let's have a look at Brian's recommended site,  www.josephsmithpolygamy.org.

 On Brian Hale's recommended website, the authors give information about Joseph's wives, their lives, marital status and  relationships with Joseph Smith.  Brian asserts that the majority of the relationships weren't sexual.  How would he know?  Whether or not they were, I won't speculate.  However,  I would like to point out the HUGE ELEPHANT in the room, why was he marrying other men's wives?  Or even marrying unwed women behind Emma's back? This is red flag.  Apologists often quote D&C 132 in the defense of Joseph Smith, I find it interesting that they are quoting the individual who was guilty of the offense.  It is like using the bylaws of Bernie Madoff's corporation to justify the fraud.  In my opinion,  Joseph Smith was puffing out his chest and claiming power.  That is what the alpha male will do.

The D&C 132 really shows the underbelly of Joseph Smith.  It basically allows him to claim whoever he wanted while forcing his wife to accept polygamy/polyandry or be destroyed.  Starting in verse 51, after telling Joseph he is forgiven and accepted of God.  Now Emma, on the other hand:


 51 Verily, I say unto you: A commandment I give unto mine handmaid, Emma Smith, your wife, whom I have given unto you, that she stay herself and partake not of that which I commanded you to offer unto her; for I did it, saith the Lord, to prove you all, as I did Abraham, and that I might require an offering at your hand, by covenant and sacrifice.

 52 And let mine handmaid, Emma Smith, receive all those that have been given unto my servant Joseph, and who are virtuous and pure before me; and those who are not pure, and have said they were pure, shall be destroyed, saith the Lord God.

 53 For I am the Lord thy God, and ye shall obey my voice; and I give unto my servant Joseph that he shall be made ruler over many things; for he hath been faithful over a few things, and from henceforth I will strengthen him.

 54 And I command mine handmaid, Emma Smith, to abide and cleave unto my servant Joseph, and to none else. But if she will not abide this commandment she shall be destroyed, saith the Lord; for I am the Lord thy God, and will destroy her if she abide not in my law.

 55 But if she will not abide this commandment, then shall my servant Joseph do all things for her, even as he hath said; and I will bless him and multiply him and give unto him an hundred-fold in this world, of fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, houses and lands, wives and children, and crowns of eternal lives in the eternal worlds.

 56 And again, verily I say, let mine handmaid forgive my servant Joseph his trespasses; and then shall she be forgiven her trespasses, wherein she has trespassed against me; and I, the Lord thy God, will bless her, and multiply her, and make her heart to rejoice.

 I don't know in what context would this be accepted.  Joseph Smith was a fraud.   I find it interesting that Joseph allowed other women, who were married, to marry him, but wouldn't allow his own wife Emma to do the same. He was setting the rules and the rules only benefited him.

I would like to ask Brian, if he would be okay if his wife was asked by Tom Monson to be one of his spiritual wives.  I know I wouldn't, if that happened, it would just solidify in my mind Mormon narrative of power, misogyny and misandry.

CS


No comments:

Post a Comment